Neck pain is common and rarely serious. Common causes include:
- Sleeping in an awkward position
- Using a computer
- Muscle strains
- Anxiety or stress
Symptoms may include neck and shoulder pain, often radiating down one arm. You may feel stiffness in your neck and occasionally pins and needles in you arm. Often headaches are triggered by problems with the neck.
If you have severe, constant headaches or vomiting, fever or dizziness please visit your GP. Otherwise our physiotherapists can help you identify the problem and give you the appropriate treatment and advice on how to manage your symptoms at home.
- Move your neck regularly as pain allows, otherwise it may stiffen up further.
- Try to relax your neck and shoulder muscles by deep breathing exercises.
- Use a heat pack or wheat bag, take care it is not too hot to burn.
- Take painkillers you can buy over the counter.
- Take breaks when using computers or driving, and do some gentle neck stretches.
Our physiotherapists will do a thorough examination of your neck and together with you will formulate a treatment plan based on the most up to date evidence-based techniques. These may include acupuncture, manipulation or massage, and exercises. We will also help you identify possible causes so you may prevent recurrence of the problem. Early treatment can help you return to full function in the shortest possible time.